Sunday, July 24, 2005
I measured. I calculated. I made a template. I checked. I double-checked. I made him try it on at six separate intervals during the construction.
It doesn't fit.
Can you believe it? After all of that, all of my uncharacteristically careful planning, the stupid foot is too short by about an inch. And the toe is too pointy. And the leg is too short . . . the same leg that was exactly the right length before I finished and closed the toe.
I'm trying to stay sanguine about this but the truth is I'm this close to a major crying jag. Ridiculous, isn't it, to invest so much emotional energy into a Fixation sock but there you have it. I have been completely obsessed with that sock for the past seven days. The closer I got to shaping the toe, the more excited I became -- almost like a kid on Christmas Eve listening for the sound of reindeer hooves on the roof. Clearly I screwed up some place along the way but I'm not sure how or where.
So I'm going to suck it up, resume my game face, and cast on for sock #1A and hope for better results. The good news, if there is any, is that I took careful notes during the process. I kept track of stitch counts, row counts, everything. If I had the guts (not to mention the dexterity) I would de-Kitchener the toe and unravel back to the beginning of the toe decreases and add a little length but I just don't. I can't bear the thought of seeing those teeny tiny stitches leaping off the needle or, God forbid a million times, slithering their way up the sock and out of reach.
Tech Details: 1 ball of Cascade Fixation. Addi Turbos #3 and #2. (It's a long story.) 64 stitches. I probably should have used #1 for the cuff and, to be honest, I'm not that crazy about 1/1 ribbing. 2/2 looks a lot better.